AIEA Membership FAQ
How do I join or renew membership with AIEA?
If you are joining AIEA for the first time, please follow this Application Guide.
If you are renewing your AIEA membership, please follow this Renewal Guide.
What makes AIEA valuable to its members?
AIEA nurtures international education leadership, providing a collegial network for the sharing of information, issues and ideas among senior international leaders from around the world. For information on member benefits, please visit the Why AIEA? page. You can also read testimonials from senior leaders in international education.
Who are AIEA members?
AIEA members are:
- Senior international officers of higher education institutions in the U.S. and around the world
- Senior leaders of international higher education organizations and companies
- Presidents, chancellors, provosts and other higher education professionals who champion internationalization
- Aspiring international education leaders in universities, organizations and companies
What are the benefits of AIEA membership?
AIEA works by bringing international education leaders into dialogue with each other, their counterparts around the world, organizations that promote international education, and organizations concerned with the shaping and management of higher education. Some benefits of membership include:
- Extensive networking and dialogue with senior internationalization leaders around the world
- Complimentary subscription to The Journal of Studies in International Education
- A periodic electronic newsletter
- Free posting of open positions through AIEA listserv
- Participation in the members-only listserv, an active forum for discussion of mutual interests and issues
- Access to the membership directory
- Professional development workshop, retreats and seminars
- An informed perspective on the development of policy on international education
- Eligibility to apply for AIEA programs such as the Presidential Fellows Program, the AIEA Thematic Forum Program, and the AIEA Senior Advisers Program
- Substantial discounts to AIEA’s annual meeting – an important, focused gathering of internationalization leaders and organizations from around the world
What type of AIEA memberships are available and what are the fees?
- Institutional/ Organizational Membership: $400 annual (academic year) fee to be paid by a senior representative of an institution or organization and covers that representative only. The fee for for-profit organizations is $500 annually.
- Individual Membership: $150 annual (academic year) fee to be paid by an individual of a member institution or organization. There is no limit to the number of additional individual memberships registered under each institution / organization. Important! Institutional/organizational membership fee must be paid before additional individuals can join.
- Retiree Membership: AIEA approves a limited number of retiree memberships from long-standing members who have strong association ties. If you are a current and long-time member of AIEA who is retiring, please contact email@example.com for approval and registration process.
- Unaffiliated Individual Membership: $400 annual (academic year) fee to be paid by individuals not affiliated with member institutions or organizations who want to hold membership in AIEA.
I am a 2015-2016 member; when can I join AIEA for 2016-2017?
If you have a 2015-2016 Institutional, Organization, or Unaffiliated Individual membership, you are welcome to renew your AIEA membership starting April 4, 2016.
If you have a 2015-2016 Individual membership, you should check the list of 2016-2017 Institutions to see whether the Institutional or Organizational member at your place of employment has renewed their membership. If they have, you are welcome to renew your Individual membership for 2016-2017. If they have not, please contact that person and remind them to renew. Once the Institutional or Organization membership is activated and AIEA has received and processed payment, you will be eligible to join at the individual level.
When will my 2015-2016 membership expire?
AIEA has transitioned to a new membership cycle with a July 1-June 30 membership year. The expiration date for the 2015-2016 year is June 30, 2016.
I signed up for 2016-2017 membership. When does my membership get activated?
All eligible memberships will be activated on July 1, 2016. Memberships are only eligible to become active once AIEA receives payment. Individual memberships are only eligible to be activated if the Institutional or Organizational membership is active. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing after AIEA receives payment; this applies to all membership types.
Does an institutional/organizational membership mean that anyone at that institution/organization belongs to AIEA?
No, an institutional/organizational membership is connected directly to only one representative of that institution/organization. Once the institutional/organizational membership fee is paid by a representative, then other members can pay the additional membership fee of $150 each to join AIEA.
How should I join AIEA if I am paying for membership myself?
AIEA memberships are often paid for by an organization or institution, and to reflect this, the membership remains with the institution even when an individual member might move before the membership has expired. If your institution or organization does not pay your membership dues, you may want to consider joining as an Unaffiliated Individual so the membership transfers if you change positions.
I am not an SIO; can I still join AIEA?
Yes. Institutional membership in AIEA is generally reserved for the Senior International Officer, however, once the SIO at your institution has joined, you are eligible to join as an individual member. Organizations in International Higher Education can also join, though an Organizational membership must be in place before others at the organization can join as an individual member.
Is there a student AIEA membership category?
No, however, if your university has an Institutional membership, you are able to join AIEA as an individual member.
Is there special pricing for under-resourced institutions?
Not at this time, though this policy is currently under review.
What is the AIEA membership cycle?
- AIEA has transitioned to a membership cycle that corresponds with the U.S. academic year and runs from July 1 through June 30.
- It is not possible to pro-rate membership fees.
- March 31, 2016 is the last day to join AIEA as a 2015-2016 member
- 2016-2017 membership applications are accepted from April 1, 2016 through March 21, 2017
- AIEA is unable to process membership applications during the Annual Conference. Processing will be put on hiatus from February 9, 2017 - February 29, 2017
- In order to receive a member discount for the 2017 Annual Conference, the application and payment must be received at the AIEA Secretariat by February 9, 2017.
It’s already December and I’d like to join AIEA. Can my membership fee be pro-rated since the year is already half over?
Please note that it is not possible to pro-rate membership fees.
I forgot my username and password. How do I find it?
Member usernames are generally the full email address affiliated with AIEA membership. Passwords are automatically generated by the system when an account is created. Please click here and enter your AIEA username to have your password emailed to you. If you do not remember your username or password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Do my membership benefits take effect immediately?
As soon as payment is received, your membership will be activated. If you pay by credit card, it is activated within 2-3 business days. If you pay by check or wire transfer, membership will be activated within 2-3 business days from when payment is received at the AIEA Secretariat.
What is my AIEA member number?
AIEA does not issue member numbers. Memberships are identified by e-mail address and/or name of institution/organization.
How do I change my contact information with AIEA?
You can easily update your profile online. Simply simply go to our website (aieaworld.org) and click on LOG IN in the upper right-hand corner, Existing User Login, Edit Account Details and/or Edit Profile. You will not be able to change your e-mail address or institution/organization. If you are now at a different institution/organization, you will need to apply for a new membership.
Can I cancel my membership?
No, AIEA membership cannot be cancelled or refunded. It is possible to transfer your membership to someone else at your institution or organization.
How do I transfer my AIEA membership to a different institution / organization?
If you are listed on the institutional/organizational account, you may transfer the account to another senior international officer within the same member institution/organization by sending name and contact information to email@example.com. This account transfer will be valid through the end of the membership term unless notified otherwise.
If you have an individual membership, you will not be able to transfer your membership to another institution/organization. You can, however, transfer one individual to another individual in the same institution/organization.
To maintain your AIEA membership status, you must purchase another individual membership at another AIEA member institution/organization. To see if your institution/organization is an AIEA member, please check the Member Institution and Organization List, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m a paid member but I’m not receiving e-mails from the AIEA listserv.
Sometimes an e-mail alias is used to set up an account. Our system only recognizes exact e-mail address attached to the account. If you find you are not receiving e-mails from AIEA, please contact email@example.com.
How do I post messages on the AIEA members-only listserv?
Simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure that you start the subject line with “AIEA: __________" to announce your topic. Reminder: The message must be sent from the email address affiliated with your AIEA membership (generally also the member's default username).
Note: The members-only listserv is for discussion of relevant issues, not for promotion of programs, products or services. To read the listserv policies, please click here.
How do I subscribe, unsubscribe or change my e-mail address on the members-only listserv?
One of the great benefits of membership is the members-only listserv, and members are automatically subscribed to the AIEA members-only listserv upon receipt of payment of member dues, using the email address entered in the member profile. (Note that email addresses must match the institution/organization name; generic email addresses are not accepted). You cannot change e-mail address from what is listed on the AIEA account. Email email@example.com if you wish to unsubscribe; however please note that all communication with members is done via email, so upon unsubscribing, you will no longer be made aware of member-only opportunities including special member discounts.
I am receiving emails from AIEA; how did I get on the list?
AIEA members are automatically added to the members-only listserv, as well as AIEA email updates (sent once a week at the most). If you have created an AIEA account on the www.aieaworld.org website for membership or to access forms on the website, you will also receive regular updates from AIEA. To unsubscribe, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm not a member but my institution / organization is a member – can I access the members-only section of the website?
No. Only current members are allowed access.
What if I have membership questions not answered in the FAQs?
Email email@example.com or call 1.919.668.1928 (Eastern Standard – New York Time).