AIEA is the only association dedicated exclusively to senior leaders in the field of international education. AIEA members are senior international officers (SIO) who serve as leaders of higher education institutions and of organizations that support international higher education.
AIEA works by bringing international education leaders into dialogue with each other, their counterparts around the world, organizations that promote international education, and organizations concerned with the shaping and management of international higher education. AIEA gives members opportunities to join forces, share institutional strategies, and provide an effective voice on matters of public policy.
“AIEA is my association of choice. Why? Initially, because it was THE only organization where people shared my concerns about how to promote and manage the internationalization of higher education.”
—Gilbert W. Merkx, Duke University
"I can say unequivocally that AIEA has consistently been the organization I have turned to throughout the years for the best strategic and pragmatic information on internationalization."
—Christa Olson, Vice Provost International Programs, Drake University
AIEA Member Benefits:
Some of the benefits of membership include:
- Extensive networking and dialogue with senior internationalization leaders around the world
- Complimentary subscription to The Journal of Studies in International Education
- A periodic electronic newsletter
- Free posting of open positions through AIEA listserv
- Participation in the members-only listserv, an active forum for discussion of mutual interests and issues
- Access to the membership directory
- Professional development workshop, retreats and seminars
- An informed perspective on the development of policy on international education
- Eligibility to apply for AIEA programs such as the Presidential Fellows Program, the AIEA Thematic Forum Program, and the AIEA Senior Advisers Program
- Substantial discounts to AIEA’s annual conference– an important, focused gathering of internationalization leaders and organizations from around the world
"AIEA is an indispensable resource. Its member services and annual meeting are designed to address the needs of diverse educational organizations; make sense of the dynamic and increasingly complex field of international education; and provide leadership mentoring for international education professionals.”
—Gil Latz, Associate Vice Chancellor of International Affairs, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
For more information about AIEA:
"AIEA has not only provided the best professional development and networking for me, but also helped me develop my career path, define my leadership role at several institutions, and connect me to the most interesting opportunities and influential leaders in our field.”
—Sabine Klahr, Deputy Chief Global Officer, University of Utah